Edit: added the process for the paint.

​

I finished up this project a couple of months ago. I was new to Reddit so my post sucked. I was asked if I could post it here with more pics and description. I am horrible (getting better) at taking before pictures or progress pics so hopefully, I have enough to make this work.

​

As with most of my project, this started small and escalated quick. I have 2 other full baths so I wanted this to be the guinea pig. My vanity carcasses are solid (and large in the other bathrooms) so I wanted to see if I could reface them and change up the look without completely replaces them. So that’s how this started and it ended up with the pictures you see.

​

Here is link to the album:

[https://imgur.com/a/7xbOlwO](https://imgur.com/a/7xbOlwO)

​

Heres a breakdown of what I did:

* Removed vanity face and counter/backspace
* Custom built countertop from kiln dried 2x4s. The front edge 2×4 was purchased that way, I dug through to find something with character. I just sanded it smooth. Once glued up, everything was distressed with, nails, hammers, chains, whatever I had near me. The sanded smooth. Stained with 3 coats for even coverage and then about 6 coats of poly to seal and protect it.
* The backsplash is from HD, it’s the mesh style, this was my first time so that helped me keep things straight. Grouted with a tan grout.
* The frame around the mirror was 1/2″ pine, the edges were routed, then distressed, stained and cleared. Then glued to the mirror with liquid nails.
* I custom made the vanity face using 3/4 poplar. I used the Orginal as a guide but since I was changing the door sizes and the length a bit I couldn’t just copy everything. Its slightly longer than the original because I did an overlay on the side of the vanity.
* The overlay to cover the original vanity side was made with 1/2 pine, it was painted to match everything else and pin nailed to the vanity.
* The doors and drawers with made with 3/4″ poplar. Routed with a plunge router.
* I’ve never made anything with cabinets so I decided the best route the look I was going for was to build the frames from the 3/4″ poplar and then use 1/4 poplar strips for the center. I don’t have a router table so I basically ripped a 1’4″wide by about 1/2″ deep down the center of each part of the frames to give the 1/4″ strips a place to sit. Once everything was cut correct I glued the strips in the guides.
* Paint: Was a 3 step process, one coat of white, one coat of brown and the blue. The white and brown were brushed/rolled on, the blue, I used the cheap foam brushes but into small parts, then dipped in the paint and basically rubbed onto the wood. Then while still tacky I take a rag and wipe in one direction, this pulls some but not all of the paint and gives the rustic look. Once dried, I lightly sanded it to remove loose stuff and applied a 3 layers of clear coat.
* The storage cabinet: I didn’t put much effort into this because I plan on adding a shower but I still wanted it to match. So I painted it to match everything and installed the copper pulls. The top I just used Java gel stain that I had from another project and then cleared it.
* All the pulls are custom made with 1/2″ copper tube with the fitting soldered (also my first time). They are attached by drilling out the 1/2″ cap to be able to use a screw.
* Towel bar, TP holder, and hand towel holder were made with 3/4″ copper and floor flanges.
* The shelves above the toilet with made with 1/2″ pine finished the same as the mirror frame and installed on 3/4″ copper tubing attached with floor flanges to wall. And I found copper pipe straps to anchor the shelve to the copper tube.
* All the flanges were either installed in a stud or with heavy dusty anchors.
* I ripped out the old fluorescent light box and oak frame (sorry no pics of the original). Luckily the drywall was in oak shape and I was covering most of it that I didn’t need to do a lot of patchwork.
* The light fixture is made from 1/2″ pine. I wrapped the edges with twine. This looked cool but also gave me clearance for my light wire to run above the board. The actual lights were custom made with stuff from Amazon. I order the cages, bulbs, connections and wire from them and just put it together to my specs.
* Once that was installed I came up with the idea to finish it with molding. I used a standard baseboard, installed upside down, then finished it with crown molding.
* The sink and faucet were from amazon and were less than $100. They are pretty nice but they were not meant to be installed on such a thick countertop. So I had to get a different drain pipe and make a custom mount for the faucet. I cant remember what I did for is this but I know it took like 3 trips to HD and some cuss words. I think I blocked out the memory.
* Decoration by my wife.

​

Total project cost is hard to say because like the picture I suck at tracking this stuff, but it was somewhere around $700 to $800. Not including the decorations, my wife wont tell me so it sounds bad. Also the floor was done by me last year.

​

If I were to recreate this, I could do it for about $500. Most of the things I did were my first time and were idea off the top of my head so there were mistakes are just things that didn’t work that drove the cost up. Also does not include the new tools I bought, like the tile saw for the backsplash, or the new table saw because my little Ryobi just wasnt cutting it anymore.



View Reddit by andrew0687View Source